Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Meta House Opening


I think I mentioned a few times about the 2nd part to my take back the night project and it went down this past month. There was a free your mind exhbit and we got to part take in it by adding the shirts from take back the night. For a few month we have been putting this together designing how we would set up the rope etc and there was also a slideshow to show the making of the project how it started sort of a deal which I posted up already try to let it fully load before you play it. The slideshow took a supper long time to make because choosing music to fit the situation I have a new found appreciation for movie and tv shows who ever job it is to pick the music. Well I wanted the volunteers to come but in order to this I had to suck up the cost of 40 dollars to rent out a van which pretty much put me and broke this month luckily today I get paid bc I ran out of money on my phone and internet and have been counting down to be able to buy more time for both. Along with the volunteers from my village coming my students came as well o yea I guess I might not have mentioned but in order to afford Khmer lesson I am exchanging that for me teaching one hour of conversational eng everyday. Well me and my khmer tutor thought it would be a good experience to let the students come to the art gallery to one see what an art gallery is and two practices there English with people from other countries. However I had to go in early to Phnom Penh to set up and that left me in trusting my khmer tutor to make sure everyone was on time and left when I said which NATURALLY DID NOT OCCURE SIGH. Well that morning me and liz waited around for meta house staff to set up the rope etc which took far longer then excepted then liz had to run off to work that’s the thing about being a pcv lots and lots of time to do the little stuff that people who have a real job cant do. Part of the exhibit we took close up pictures of people and cut out the eyes and placed mirrors in them and placed them on the line a lot of people seemed to really freak out when looking at these pictures. We did this to symbolize how violence is not happening to only one person but all of us and if you had to see your self though a victims eyes what would you do? Well that night when the event started not that many people showed up and my Khmer tutor left an hour late so that screwed up things. With traffic and everything else they did not make my part of the show so to speak there was other ngos and presenters there to show a movie and sex trafficking which they did make the students had a lot to say about the movie. One of the NGO’s APLE went out of there way once they realized I brought villages in to have everything translated into khmer which I thought was really nice. I know that seems something that should be protocol but honestly in the Ngo expat community it tends to be English only =( and most people don’t care or think about making it in the local la. Well the event over all was pretty uneventful the people who did come thought it was an interesting way to educate about violence in Cambodia the Phnom Penh Post came and while she was not planning on it she started to interview people and write up an article on the project ill post that in another post. We tried to sell shirts etc to make money for next year but that was a fail. I felt sort of bad by the time we got back to the village it was 11 at night I hope the students parents were not to mad at me I think it was an over all good experience until next time peace out from the other side of the world!








No comments:

Post a Comment