Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lets all act like Oprah Winfrey Please!?!?


As the title suggests I need you all to act like Oprah Winfrey and pretend you all have a billion dollars to spare =) okay I am glad I have your attention or at least I hope I do. Great news Peace Corps partnership program has approved my groups project!!! Now I am left in hassling the world for the funds for this domestic violence workshop I have mentioned so many times before. I know your all thinking can I pull of being a monk and wearing an orange jump suit to get people to throw money at me and yes I to have thought about this but sorry its frowned upon or so Cambodians have told me when I ask about such ideas hehe. Also fyi I do plan to ask Oprah for a donation I know its unlikely but hey you never know. Okay now more seriously at the bottom of this page I will enclose the link but first I will try to get into more detail about this project. The overall aim of our workshop is to motivate community leaders to be more involved in cases of domestic violence in their communities, as well as to increase understanding about and causes related to domestic violence. In other words or lames terms we have teamed up with the ministry of women’s affairs and are working with some local ngos to educate people in the community who work with villager’s ie village chief, hospital staff, police etc. it is also a good way for group networking in the kp chhange province because many ngo’s we are working with have similar goals as far as women in Cambodia and specifically domestic violence with all the facilitators for this project working together they will also gain funding and other support they might need down the line from one another this is know as capacity building. Thus far with the help of Ministry of Women’s affairs we have been able to come up with a little over 2000 dollar of in kind donations my group still needs to come up with the other 3000 dollars. In all honestly I do not want the majority of funds coming from you friends and family it is more my hope that yes maybe you could spare a dollar but to actually go to organization you might be volunteering for or if you know someone who has more or vested interested in this type of work to have them donate. I am fully a wear the United States of America lost its credit rating and I understand that many of you might be in a real monetary jam right now. However I hope you will not just believe all that I have told you about how poorly women are treated in Cambodia but that you may even do research for your self to know that I am not asking this lightly or merely as if you are helping me sell girl scout cookies when I was 10 but to know that I don’t just want your money but your true desire to create a safer environment for women not just in Cambodia but all over the world. Just remember, “We can do no great things, only small things with great love.”  Mother Teresa with that said however you feel you could help with this project please do so it would not just mean the world to me but the world to those who do not have a voice and who suffer everyday because they can not be heard.  I get questioned over and over again about my reason for joining the Peace Corps it is because each time a man (or women) stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope... and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current that can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance. Robert F. Kennedy in short I want people to see my life is the message! If you have any further questions about my project let me know I can meet you on Skype to talk face to face or just send you an email back thanks for all the work I hope you will do.  
Best Wishes
Eileen McCormick 













No comments:

Post a Comment