Friday, September 30, 2011

Angel of Death

Sorry its been a while but my life has been not so lucky where to begin. Well first off my family has had some drama Khmer one that is because well jenta the middle one is planning to live in pp for a few months to go study Korea my host mom supports this idea. After she studies the plan is for her to go live in Korea for 5 years. Why the drama well this really fucks my other sister jentee over because she would have to watch churey jentas son and my host mom is not happy with her not willingness to help jenta. Me my self and I have the option of the middle man my host mom is a real big idea type of person which makes it fun to be around her but I can see how it screws people over. Ie she came up with the game plan for jentee to marry the American however once it was not so easy I think she quickly changed all her eggs to put it in jenta’s basket. This can obviously leave a lot of issues between everyone she sort of starts things and excepts them to work in her favor. Anyways another issues is jentee has no more money it all goes to her brother schooling and her husband is coming in nov so she wanted to save money for that but now all the family money will also have to go to jenta rent and Korean lessons. This has left jentee pretty devastated and frustrated so I have been trying to help her out. Though I understand the benfits of jenta going to korea I just think her son should go with her is all but khmer people look at that stuff way different. I just think you leave a kid with abandonment issues and they r screwed for life its already started I can tell with him. Next bad thing is my computer well my laptop is done I had to buy a new one. So I was stuck outside in a Cambodian monsoon while my laptop was in a backpack it was not enough some how water got into my screen and then it just would not turn on my hard drive went with it to. Note to self-buy external hard drive really really. Now the last and the reason for this title is angel of death well my Khmer grandmamma Grandson was in a horrible motorcycle accident.  Apparently he feel off but then another moto came by and ran over his head it was so sever they had to take him into a hospital in pp. well a week goes by and I don’t know to much about the situation however I was in pp for a meeting and jentee calls me to come to the hospital so we can take a taxi home together so I was not excepting to go into said hospital. Anyways when I got their I though like the last time no one would let my brong ass in but nope this time they did and what I say is one of those life changing events. Okay I get told that they want me to go see him I should mention there is no waiting room so everyone is out side on the curb in the raine with matts sleeping their. Sorry to digress trying to pain you a picture so I go inside and I grab a yellow surgical apron (re used over and over) but the point is for germ protection right haha. I walk a few steps down the hall into the open doors to this smallish critical care unite that was open with 25 people packed in like sardines most of them im pretty sure goners in diapers and not breathing on their own but that was not for me to think about. I see this young boy 16 who I guess if family and then I see the rest of the family doing all sorts of things for him massaging his legs etc. when all of a sudden I hear an American voice I think this is an inter dr for drs with out boarders or something but find out soon she is just a missionary from California but has been their long enough for me to get a better idea what is going on. So I see that this white substances is being shot up into a tube so I ask what are they injecting into him girls response rice portage (pretty sure that has 0 nutritional value).  Come to discover it’s the boys dad the situation in Cambodia is like this there is absolutely no nurse aids etc to help in any capacity it is all on the family while I have seen this on a small scale when people have fevers. To see it on such a scale when someone is on the brink of death but the family has to sit their and not only watch it but try to keep him alive is a bit much even for me. I think I have mentioned on many occasions that it doesn’t matter I have no medical degree in the village I am know as the dr  so I come to find out I was brought it for my “medical option”  which if I did not watch so much er and house I might have none of any ways thank god for tv jk. Anyways they wanted me to take his plus however there was a monitor which they didn’t know what it was measuring that much I did know so I told them and this impressed them upon words even though there is a picture of the heart then the pulse next to it. His heart rate was low at this point he was in Acoma with no response to light I did fear the worse even though im not trained to fear the worse I just knew it was not good. Next they take off his eye bandages to ask me why his eye is so swollen now keep in mind my Khmer is not up to the sympathy needed to convey that sort of thing with out scaring them but I tired anyways because he had sever bleeding in his brain I was trying to explain the brain was swelling up pushing on the eye sockets think it was conveyed. Next up on my medical duties that I would be sued for in America going to talk to the dr about the ct scan man I sometimes I really wish I had even a year of medical school under my belt for this craziness no such luck.  Sever bleeding in what looked to me like the occipital lobe of the brain the back part. Well the fun news is this dr is one of the few who don’t speak eng (I found out later that is bc this was a French run hospital) so I have this broken convo in khmer with a little bit of help. So I ask him about surgery and he just looks at me and tells me they cant do surgery that it to high of risk that he will only have a 10 percent survival rate humm guess u don’t have to be a dr to know if you don’t stop bleeding in ur head death. Then I ask him about passing urine etc which has blood I guess earlier that day they finally stopped internal bleeding anyways then I ask how much oxygen was he on 100 percent I was told. Well all those thing to me equal not good out come so then I ask the question I was dreading how long does he have to live dr reply o he can live a while on machines he will not die soon. I know you would think he told the family this but no the dr had 0 communication with the family talk about shity bed side manner and was not planning on telling them so he could make a few hundred dollars a day. So I come out side and just say I know nothing which jentee knows im lieing but I just didt have the balls to tell my aunt your son is going to die and you have to pull the plug. However jentee quickly pulls me aside and I quickly ask her how much she wants to know and she is like no tell me so I do and then she tells the boys aunt and the whole taxi ride back their asking me question hysterically crying.  So I had my first experience explaining why you don’t want to let a brain damaged person with no chance of surgery to live how its not a quality of life. ill keep you posted on all of this until not peace out from the other side of the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment