Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I couch Surfed …Shanghai China

The train to shanghai was supper big and relaxing nothing like taking Amtrak they even have plug outlets for your computer! On this ride there was these to ladies on the train who only spoke Chinese but talked Helens ear off asking all sorts of questions. All I can say is despite not speaking the la they were a riot I nick named them Thelma and Louise bc of how they interacted with each other and the type of question I could just tell they were asking Helen. Initially we had no where to stay when we got to this new city so there is this really cool web site for any of you traveling on limited means or just want to make some new friends you should check it out its called couch surfing. You make a profile and it allows people to check you out to make sure ur not a crazy person and vice versa any ways we found someone to stay with this way. We ended up staying with this expat with 2 kids from Iowa this guy was supper help full gave us mats told us good places to see provided us with some wine and cheese good conversations added a little randomness to the trip. It was a pretty sweet deal bc when u think about trips where ur going sigh seeing most of ur day is spent out and about and only time ur in ur room is to sleep so this helps you not blow all ur money on a few hours of sleep =) well one of the big things to see in shanghai is the city line but they want 20 dollars to go up to the top so me and Helen went on a mission to the Raitison hotel for free it worked out no one stopped us we just had to find the right elevator. We also went to the market saw the bridge and went by the water front their was also a time sq type of place. While their we met up with Helens uncle who took us around and took us out for a lot of really good meals which was supper nice I sort of felt awkward that I could not talk to him or her aunt once we met up with her at all. We went to the science and technology museum, which actually was a nice break from all the old Chinese history stuff we did in Beijing. They had this cool machine where you could play someone by using brain waves to push the ball to the other player side Helen and I played I won looks like my brain were just stronger jk.    They also had this cool room that made you feel like gravity was messing with you im still trying to figure out how it made you feel like their was a ton of bricks on you weighing you down.  One of my favorite things in Shanghai was the acrobatic circus, which was pretty cool to watch I really liked the music to that went with it all I wish I could have taken more pictures but they don’t let you so sorry about that. For a few days we left the city to go about 3 hours out side to a place called Hangzhou this is also a pretty big city however it has large amount of tea fields and pretty parks and lakes. All though out the park was wedding pictures being taken it was like being in a Zen garden the whole place had flowers and weeping willow trees while Chinese natives where practicing thai-chea it was like a movie really so relaxing and just scenic. We went to explore the tea fields and then went to the tea museum where we had free tea tasting after of course ur sort of haggled into buying some tea I bought some mix I don’t remember the name but it was sweet enough tasting. We also found a place to couch surf here as well which was cool meet a nice native couple to the area I think the guy worked for the Gov. and was really nice to talk to we did not have that much time to get to know this family but it was still interesting to get to know another person.  We had to fly back soon after that in all honesty I was ready to get back to my life in Cambodia sometime ideas just start to fester in my head of projects I want to do when I am gone for so long. Well until next time peace out from the other side of the world!   

No comments:

Post a Comment