Saturday, October 2, 2010

DR QUIN MEDICINE WOMAN

Who doest know what its like to be amazing at medicine with little to no supplies lol o all the of the western world except dr Quinn of course jkjk. Okay so I figured most of you want to know what my new job entails and a little about my surroundings. Okay so first as of right now my Khmer suck but I have planned to do some breast cancer awareness edu if I can have help with translation but as of right now I pretty much sit around and say hello to the 5 people who come in and tell them who I am and that’s pretty much all the Khmer I can muster. Some of the time I spend following the midwives around they are a fun bunch im deff petitioning for some of them back in the states they are a different breed from nurses and DR’s in the states. Has anyone seen the Halloween haunted house specials where they take you to some old 1940s physicatric ward where they did electroshock therapy well the village hospital décor looks a lot like that I have some pics just incase that description does not do it for you but the floor is really dusty and looks like there are old blood stains on it and the wall has hand prints as if someone was clawing at them and the beds are rusty. While this might not seem like a place one would want to work I assure you it’s really awesome to work with the staff and the out side of the place is really pretty and it’s a very interesting dynamic. There is no running water or electricity and no internet (ill leave the persons name anonymous who thought I had wifi there lmao) I would say most of the people who come in are for pregnancy I have pic of the scale that the kids get weight in all I can say is mose down a river in a basket you can judge for your self lmao! They have been really trying to work with me I feel bad because I speak khmer one one but im trying to get some stuff together to do some edu so they don’t think im just a fly on the wall. On another note the director of the hospital and my counter part had me over for lunch okay first let me explain Cambodians like to trick invite you places or not invite but just suddenly tell you that you will eat rice with them at there house. So in the none straight forward way his daughter came by to walk me home to ask me to see her house and before I knew it I was having lunch with the boss deff nerve racking but I think it I just try to make him look like he is best friends with the America it can only help me do what I want and not have to deal with political red tape stuff however I think what they want is for me to teach there daughter eng for free. I am excited to start community out reach mabey if I can get a real project going they will let me go around when they give shots! I think this will be a really good learning oppourtunity I never though I would get to say one I even worked in a hospital and two a rural hospital in Cambodia so I am supper excited just to be able to watch the way they do things and see what little information I can give along the way here is to my job for the next two years!

No comments:

Post a Comment