Friday, October 29, 2010

Unlucky 13

The other day I got to talking with my Khmer teacher about superstations and naturally wanted to compare Cambodians to that of Americas however have to admit I am not to in the know about all of them. Unlucky number for Cambodia 7 which I thought was funny because in the us that number is associated with being lucky just the opposite in Cambodia reason okay so when someone dies they celebrate the funeral for 7 days and this is because it takes there ancestors 7 days to realize they are dead I guess and before they realize they will stick around and you guessed it haunt the living. There was some good one about pregnant woman let me see if I can remember them all okay first if you want to know the sex of the baby you are carrying you need to take another baby that can stand on there own depending on that child’s sex if they stand with one leg then it’s the same sex as them but with two it’s the opposite sex of that child. To get rid of morning sickness a woman needs to step over her sleeping husband 3 times and then it will pass from her to him according to my tutor all the men are very scared of this because “its true” and then they are sick and can not go to work. Last but not least is that a snake can not move while in front of a pregnant lady not matter if its attacked or anything it will just stand still I don’t know about anyone reading this blog but im not sure I even want to test this theory out. Let see besides learning about Cambodian lucky or not so lucky way of life I rode my bike 20 k looking for Internet near site with no luck but soar ass turns out I guess long bike rides are not so much my thing I don’t know why but I like to walk places even though sometimes for time its not an option. However I was able to ask around for it which means my khmer is getting better so ill just be happy with the small step of that and not focus on the afternoon being a bust. I guess with the cold season coming up nov which is not cold at all but awesome breeze and tons of watermelons soo freaking good is all I can say. Watermelons in Cambodia are small but the amount of awesomeness insides is like jam-packed so for 2000 real 50 cents I get to engulf the watermelon ill try to take pictures to show you the massive quantity that are sold on the side of the road right now. Humm what eles I did another educational presentation this time on diabetes it was kind of sad to have to explain to 10 adults that you don’t have to die from diabetes however I guess in Cambodia that’s not really true life span for someone once diagnosed is 4 year but at least I was able to give them information on nutrition and how to help prevent it or keep it under control sadly most of the hospitals don’t carry insulin which is sort of important. O yea I guess ill just leave a general open message on this blog okay so I have been talking to some people about starting up a soccer camp for a few weekends a month there is a lot to work out but I figured I can at least start collecting supplys for the camp soccer balls mabey some cones

No comments:

Post a Comment