Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ill trade you that whiskey for watermelon???










Happy st patty’s day well guess what shocker there are not so many irish people in Cambodia so they never heard of such a holiday. I thought to my self how can I not let this day pass with out making it the obvious choice would be to drink but I decided to x that idea out and go with my midwife and her sister who is a village health volunteer to a watermelon field. How this day began was a huge meeting for me to tell them about me getting shoes and my other project to the health volunteers who also were coming into get trained in malaria education anyways one thing lead to another and I was invited to go pick watermelon. Honestly I had no idea what I was really going to be doing but since moving house more and more people see want to do thing with me guess being in the tb house or something was a real damper on my social calendar. I had no idea my midwife owned part of a watermelon field which was pretty far out now that I can ride motos I was actually able to go it was sweet!! Well these two little girls took it apon them selves to be my protectors for the day which is funny to see a 7 year old to worry about me falling every 5 sec. well first we went to the midwifes fathers house which was cool got to meet her family and you can just tell he is really proud of her which is cool to see. Next we headed to her sisters house and from their walked where every other person started to ask what I was doing etc the talk of a 8 mile ratios in true Khmer fashion once we got to the field it was a pretty far walk into her part of the land but along the way it was so pretty to just see everything I got lots of pictures which I will try to post up for you all to see once we got to her spot we laid out a mat and had a watermelon picnic good times. After we ate the two little girls wanted me to go to see the water with them where I guess their mom was washing a cow they wanted to go swimming which I was fine with but I guess they wanted me to go into which I had to pass for health and safety reason no need for leeches and toxic chemice to touch my skin hehe. Due to me not going in they both changed their mind aka copied me so looks like we all passed up on the possibility of rare disease from the water jk we were about to head back and the little girl was trying to hold all these watermelons in her skirt so I offered to put them in my bag to help but she got scared I would not give them back which I had to explain I would it was just to help this seemed to put her at ease. Then when I got back to my house we got a new truck full of watermelon so I started to throw them off the truck all I can think is I traded in the whiskey for some water melons at least there green right?!?!? Well until next time peace out from the other side of the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment