Wednesday, May 9, 2012

When west and east collide


Yea its been almost two years but it was time to introduce my mom to my Cambodian life… while every volunteer gets excited for family to come and visit there life aboard we also get nervous of how will all of this be handled. Be4 most of my friends moms came we would sit around and speculate on what events would throw our parents over the edge have check list to not go over board we get it we signed up for this they did not.  Hum though I have to admit with my mom who never really leaves the country and idea of a vacation is going to the “country” aka Pennsylvania yea I know your thinking hum is that really considered country well in my family it is lol that’s how you can tell we are just too new york anyways I knew this was not going to be the vacation she was excepting or wanting or even ready for.  With all this said the on goings of this visit with my mom and aunt Marybeth are at times funny and sad but this is not to say anything negative about the over all vibe of the trip because it was awesome to just share random moments with people from back home! But for sake of entertainment what I bring up will be all the over the top moments but know not every second was that crazy.  I think its fair to say that until you come visit you also will think half of what I write is made up or not real however soon my American family was in for the shock of just how real Cambodian life could be. I never go about things the easy or normal way so my host family came with me to simreap to meet my mom and aunt the night before I have my host mom walking around outside with out a shirt or bra on why because she was soo sad that she did not have a bra to were to meet my mom and spend the whole day having what she thought were American style clothes made to meet my family. Mean while on the west side of things my mom and aunt both went out shopping in Thailand for what they thought were Cambodian clothes and to see how west and east thought they made the mark on the other was amusing to say the least. My host sister jentu who thinks America is number one was the guide for this trip anything involving Americans she is front and center. She is the one who sells used clothes which I always call salvation army clothes needless to say she waned to give my mom some of her clothes as a gift so I spent the 5 hour car ride to semi reap conving her why that was not a good idea she had high hopes and dreams I think that my mom would love said clothes so much that jentu could have her take a bunch back to America and sell them…yea really lmao she has not realized they come from America yet. Due to my rocking the boat antics once we got to said hotel I had to fight with the manger bc he was not happy about the fact villagers aka Cambodian nationals would be staying in the hotel haha lucky my family is not someone who gives much thought to the discrimination they get put though in there own country, however some Khmer people really will not even attempt to go in what they feel are “white people” only places. When we get up to the room my host mom is going to take a shower however 20 mins later she finally comes out to inform me that she could not take a shower because she did not know to. I go to inspect to see the western shower and all the nobs and understand so for once im not the one having to be taught something by her which is an hourly occurrence in my day to day life. In true khmer style even though I called the hotel my mom was at hours be4 to let them know I was in they forgot so after a while I finally call back to discover they are in we all meet up at the hotel for the meet and greet which I think went well. Onto ber-iey which is this all khmer resort something that I don’t think shows up in lonely planet but you take a boat and there is some runis and an awesome sunset to watch and that was the first exploration of Cambodia for my American family and perhaps got them up excited then nervous about Cambodia maybe? Anyways we get a big dinner were jentu convince the khmer staff that I am Cambodian when jentu puts her mind to something she really can get anything she wants its sort of shocking. Ankor Wat and the other smaller wats were a full day event which took a lot of energy but well worth it I think I personally liked the wat with the tree thought it the best. Lunch was the interesting while I am used to my Khmer family idea of packing lunch but my mom and aunt who have been on only package food had to move out of there comfort zone.  That morning we did go to a Khmer market and I got coffee while jentu ran around buying food so I never actually saw what she was buying until we sat down to eat which I might have warned her about a few things never minded. So jentu and my mom are unpacking this lunch which was just in a Khmer style cooler nothing like America anyways she pulls out this full chicken which she did have cooked at the market but it still has it head on (typical for Cambodia) but not for an American to see it still has some feathers on it or hair. When my mom turns to me and says your not going to really eat that and I just laughed bc I eat this type of chicken all the time and there is never a refrigerator involved however I think her and my aunt liked the shrimp or prawn I still don’t know the difference between the two one is bigger then the other? Mean while my host family is eating the eyes of the chicken and fighting over who will eat the claws. The next day we go to some hand made art places that are ngo like which I think my mom liked better then the wats more up her ally and bought some stuff to support the ngo it was nice after a long day in the hot sun. that afternoon all of us get a fish massage which is us putting r feet in a pool full of fish that eat the dead skin off ur feet. The Cambodians felt nothing while all of us Americans were freaking out and like ahh it tickles im sure the people watching us were entertained. On our way back to phnom penh we stop in prey chore where my other host family lives that was pretty uneventful however I could tell my host mom was not happy to meet ther other Khmer mom I guess 3 moms in one place is not a good idea. We stayed in the city for a night and then headed to my site when on the way to the taxi stand they decided that a shared taxi with 8 people is not something they want to try just for the record that is the typical way of getting around for Khmer people but I was able to find a private taxi for 40 dollars for the day. I gave the mtv’s crib tour of my village and a lot of people spoke with them im pretty sure it was a lot to take in so it was hard to judge how they really liked it. On that note I guess it also goes with out saying when you go to such an extreme place to visit you need a month to really appreciate 1-2 weeks just not enough time to adjust. I think the tour of my actual life was hardest for my mom to see evidently I did not give her enough of an idea what she was getting her self into and that could be due to my two years of working on integration into being “Khmer” I am sure on either end of things whatever was sad or frustrating at the time will settle in a few weeks once everyone gets back to normal and life and will realize seeing a country like Cambodia can help you grow/change as a person even if its for a short time. In the mean time to show that even a small interaction with another human being and creat a ripple effect my host sister jentu now wants to desperately learn English so she can call my aunt Marybeth up and play speak with her and keeps telling me how much she wants to skype with her. You never know in life who's life you will touch and on that note peace out from the other side of the world!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment