Friday, January 21, 2011

This is Barbra Walters 20/20

No lie I do miss that crazy lady as the host of that show she was the host of that shows right??? Feels like it been so long anyways hot topic of conversation peace corps in the hot seat what does this all mean…okay so first off I am safe and alive just incase you thought someone else was typing this jk but really I know many people seemed to be worried about my safety but where peace corps might lack that’s what my village is for. When you are the only American in a small rural area everyone knows you and if you have a bad day let alone something really bad happens they all know and are truly worried ex my leg people stopped by and a month later still ask me about it not to mention people went out of their way to make me traditional Cambodian medicine. Keep in my every country and even in country every site is different that being said I am speaking for self alone on this but I know in a perfect world bad things would not happen and a least if they did you would except immediate help or some sort of solution however this is not always the case with being a volunteer of any kind aboard. I know your all but why well I am going to assume right now your all really smart educated people and know nothing in this world is free while the hook line and sinker to get people like me to join the organization you can put out all the notions of saving the world but in reality its politics plain and simple. For instances I am sure with out a doubt peace corps does not want to end up dead or hurt however they also warn us in training that there are certain people in Cambodia for instances that can not be touched so if lets say I go to a bar in the city and get date rape there is little they can do I know it sucks sexual inequality but it’s the truth. Thing about politics its all very touchy one day your in with a certain country the next day your out similar to Hollywood hot or not list jkjk so peace corps also as to seriously worry about their reputation in small village as well lets say for example everyday my host family treated me badly wanted more money for rent etc however lets say my host dad was village chief or someone high up in society well peace corps cant just whisk me off to another house bc my service would heavily depend on support from high up people and moving out could hurt future volunteers chances as well. Just for the record I am no defending their actions either bc some of what they said on 20/20 like we changed how we handle issues like this etc is a lie when my phone was stolen out of my room I had to fill out paper work saying what time it was how I was at fault etc they have away of making the victim at fault which deff needs to be addressed and changed however bc I got over the notion of that peace love and hippy idea of peace corps I see where they are coming from. I guess you can look at it as static philosophy you know that senior where you can save your child from a run away train or save all the people on the train which do you choose and why well static reason would say let one die for the greater good aka your child well peace corps I some times think its the same line of reasoning for them if they can save someone they will however if there is a line of political death behind that one person well ill let you decide which option they take. Lucky for you peace corps wanted to address all the volunteers worries so I was privileged enough to get an email and decied I will copy and pase it for your all to see enjoy until next time peace out from the other side of the world

From: Price, Allison

Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2011 11:31 AM

To: *PC Global

Subject: Statement: Peace Corps Director Aaron S. Williams' Response to ABC News' 20/20

Importance: High

January 14, 2011

Statement: Peace Corps Director Aaron S. Williams’ Response to ABC News’ 20/20

"ABC's program is deeply troubling and does not accurately reflect Peace Corps' unwavering commitment to our volunteers. The health and safety of our volunteers is the single most important priority for our agency. We are consistently reviewing and improving our global operations to ensure that we are doing our best to keep our volunteers healthy, safe and productive.

"We cannot comment on the ongoing investigation into the 2009 murder of volunteer Kate Puzey in Benin or do anything else that could risk compromising that investigation or the possibility of a successful prosecution. Peace Corps does not have a role in the ongoing investigation, but we have been assured that the Benin government is supporting the legal process necessary to conclude the investigation and begin a trial. The Department of State and the FBI have been working with the Benin authorities.

"Kate represented the best America has to offer the world with her dedication to her community and commitment to public service. Kate's death was a tragic loss for the Peace Corps. We continue to grieve with the Puzey family and Kate's friends. It is my sincere hope that justice is served both for Kate and her family. I would like to offer my apologies to the Puzey family if either the former leadership or the agency under my direction could have been more compassionate. Personally, it is heartbreaking to learn that they ever felt abandoned by the Peace Corps. This has never been our intent.

"Under my leadership, the Peace Corps has been implementing reforms to enhance the quality of Peace Corps service. These reforms include strengthening all health and safety measures. We do everything we can to keep our volunteers safe, and for those who sadly fall victim to crime, we do everything we can to support them in their recovery. The women interviewed by 20/20 are courageous and strong. Their stories are heartbreaking. Since their service, Peace Corps has improved sexual assault prevention procedures and practices, and we will continue to be responsive to the victims of assault and provide comprehensive care.

"We will never be able to eliminate volunteers' exposure to crimes overseas, but we will work continuously to maximize the safety and health systems supporting our volunteers. This is my pledge to Americans serving today and to the volunteers of tomorrow."

1 comment:

  1. Eileen, why do you think of Barbara Walters as "that crazy lady"? She did more blazing of trail for woman( that's you) to be able to get jobs and RESPECT from socity. Many of the types of jobs woman can acheive today came from Barbara. She has acheved hugh sucess in the fields of news interviews her inovative Show "The View". I suggest you Google her name and get an education on ALL that Barbara walters has acheved for woman
    Love you Daddy

    ReplyDelete