Friday, February 18, 2011

GETTING OLDER IS BETTER THEN THE ALTERNATIVE!


In the great words of I have no idea who getting older is a privilege not a right so thanks for all the facebook messages and phone calls for my 24th bday.!!! I think its good to reflect on each year and how it differs seeing growth progress with my human development so my 23rd year of life in review before I go on into details about my bday festivities. Well 23 is what I like to refer to my year of adjustment not just because I moved to Cambodia actually that was easier then having to graduate college and get thrown out in the American world of establishing a career in my line of study. One good thing about having a boyfriend older then my self is to relaying on his years of wisdoms and I was warned about that year after graduating college and learning to start to accept that it will never be the same again and I guess I cant fight that so I lucked out in getting to live in Cambodia vs having to go though the slow process of adjusting to American life instead I get a quick hard hit of a new culture. Now that I am 24 I can tell you what I predict I feel like im no longer young but not 25 which is more the officle adult age where your career is supposed to gel together lol or whatever society put standards on 25 however 24 I feel will be actually “fitting into your own skin” sort of deal I have had to change and evolve etc over and over but I feel like this the year I will get to feel like my life makes more senses or that I don’t have to rush to the next step bc the wave im riding is long so its all good. Now that I confused you all with my thoughts I will go onto things which you want to hear about my bday party so I deiced not to have an American friends bday party but to make it as Khmer as possible this is for many reason one in which some of the people I hang out on an everyday bases or people who I consider my best friends get way to nervous around lots of Americans. Then from my own viewpoint sort of think first bday in Cambodia mine as well make it as Khmer as possible and that I did! So Saturday I had a few people come into pp and eat at a family style Khmer place more upscale though then the average Khmer family place bought some liquor and we all just chilled it was a good time however I was spending the night at my friends and bc most apts in pp put pad locks on the door after 9 at night we had to be back pretty early.  There was downer to my bday party jentee did not come so I was pretty upset with her bc I offered to pay for her taxi to come in then this guy from site offered to come and drive a moto in so I was like great so I really thought she was coming. Well Saturday in the ams she calls me to bail sigh I cant be that mad bc she was busy right now she has to sell a lot of stuff I guess I was more annoyed at her situation. She is my best friend as you all know in Cambodia so I have really blunt convos with her and maybe sometimes I can even admit their not culturally sensitive bc I have reached the point with her that ill just let her know what Im thinking.  Everyday she gets up to make Khmer noodles and curry and sell watermelon all so her brother can go to school of course bc she is a girl her family saw no point in sending her to school so this frustrates me to no end and she is always like I want to help my mom cook. Im like yes I get that but why doest your brother help you mom cook o he does not know how so her brother comes home on weekends and drinks his life away and never helps so the fact she could not come in for a few hours mean while her brother gets to do whatever he wants makes me down right pissed off!!!! Well the night of my actual bday me and her hung out and drank together it was a good time she told me she was sorry she could not come to my party blah whatever I knew I would get over it but I just wanted her to escape her life for a few hours but I didn’t get my way. Bday are really uncommon in Cambodia most people don’t even know the day they were born just the moon full half etc so their was no cake and my host dad treated me as he every other day did not talk to me so that was okay I just went to jentee’s and had my own fun. Speaking of my host dad I think I figured out some stuff about him why he is the way he is turns out he has two family’s in my village like 15 kids all together but he does not take care of the other family also in Cambodia its customary for the man to give all the money to the wife bc she deals with all the buying of stuff for kids family etc however he doest give my host mom any money so that’s why she doest like him and stays at the market all day. Well I think I told u in some blog that I thought he never asked her to host me well now im all most positive he didn’t I think he just wanted my rent money to go drink all day and not help his family which is really sad by Cambodian standards.  I know your all thinking this sounds horrible but as of right now he has really bad case of tb so its better that he acts standoffish to me and everyone else less exposure. I guess my family is just not a happy khmer family bc my friend liz and pon came last week and pon is Cambodian and he told me all the random things they were fighting about and how everything about them was just not happy this makes me know im not crazy when I felt that since I came to my new host family.  Im still waiting for my peace corps mail but im sure whatever was sent will be great once again thanks for the bday good vibes I had a great time till next time peace out from the other side of the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment