Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Meet the Jones….Singapore


Let me take you back to the Cambodian airport first where I walk in and see some rat looking dog licking its balls when I ask the security guard what’s the deal he is like o he is supposed to be sniffing for drugs me o really I think he might be taking the day off the guard yes he does this often. When you go from life in Cambodia situation like this happen all the time to traveling to what I soon found out was the second most expensive city in the world I had a huge culture change to go though. Where to start I did not know what Singapore would be like however I had no idea everything is so well groomed I have heard it’s a clean city but you have no idea. When I first got their I was waiting for some police caning to happen asap however I was shocked to not see a single cop but people behaving as if they were covering the place wall to wall which I soon discovered was because the big brother in the sky did the job of all the police forces combined I mean not a single public place is not covered. I don’t know how to describe the vibe of the people to you because its not simple okay its like well mannered like no one doest help you but no one goes out of their way to talk to you either and I went from the extreme where I cant walk down the street with out being stopped by every person at the market to talk to me to walking around a city with millions of people who did’t so much as say hi very odd. Also Cambodia is such old traditions and culture where I accepted some form of that to be in Singapore and there was not so I think it leaves people looking as development as a suppior way of being. Cool aspect I forgot about the world of Google phones and the maps app in Cambodia we don’t even have postal service let alone actual real maps yet so the fact some random kid on the street could get me to wear I needed to go via Google almost made me cry amazing! Singapore is so developed that it makes the us looks 2nd world seriously they have crazy buildings and ways to be green that we as Americans are no where close to. Example the subways or trains every time they stop they are what powers the flats which people live in I think like 3000 of them or something also they have rainforest in the middle of everything else so randomly I was walking and start to go upon a spice walk where you can see everything from things we use to cook to things that help with medicine interesting stuff.  However most of what you see in Singapore is one big shopping mall where in New York underground tunnels lead to more subways in Singapore they lead to more malls I don’t think I even tapped into the amount of shopping what in supposed to do in Singapore this is for the fact I have no money. As expensive or capitalistic as I though the us was Singapore wins incase your wondering how expensive im talking about they don’t have any of their own food brands it all comes from the us, Japan (maybe no with the radiation now) and Korea so a pint of ben and jerries yea that’s right Vermont gets represented in Singapore go figure if you can afford it is 20 dollars yea no joke! A place to sleep 90-500 dollar a night clothes vary in price but for the most part anything you can think of is 5 times the us price. Next on my bitch list is that Singapore gov deff does not want people coming in rocking the boat with their crazy ideas of over taking gov or god knows what there is not a single sign for anything even locals have no idea when your like o that big rain forest that’s called blah blah blah what stop off this bus and u get blank stairs there is nothing on their local maps to tell you hey we have cool shit this way. I saw no Americans the whole time except mabey one or two older couples and even going around people never once assumed I was American they were like humm where are you living bc that’s how uncommon it is for someone living in America to come their way so when I say Cambodia their like yea makes senses when in any other place it would be why do you live their.  I would say the best part of the trip was that we stayed in little India which is the most culture in all of Singapore I have decided that when we go back at the end of this trip to transfer plans that im going to buy a sari for this big embassy party I am going to. Their was amazing good and so many colors and people were way more out going compared to the Chinese Singapore people also their I guess is a huge cricket world cup so at night the streets would fill up with people to watch the game their was a lot to see their but still very closed off from the way people are in Cambodia. All in all I would say glad I went to see for my self kick the bucket list sort of a deal with lots of natural little treasures hidden between shopping centers the size of towns in America but as for wanting to revisiting it or my advice for anyone who thinks they might want to go is the follow make sure your rich and that you like to shop because I would honestly call Singapore the mall of the world if you think the mall of America is big times that by like 50 and picture a whole country just covered in shopping cents that Singapore is the place for you. Till next time when I will be surfing my way and back into a culture I understand peace out from the other side of the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment