Sunday, April 17, 2011

RIDE ON BALI


I got their at night so I did not get to see much on the drive to the hotel but from first impression it was more built up then Cambodia. I stayed at a place called the chill house, which is a surfer’s retreat have to be honest never been in a place with anything with the word retreat in it. Okay well anyways went with my friend Taylor and it never crossed my mind that taylor is a very unisex name so when we showed up for our surf and love package people deff assumed couple which would not be bad except the house we stayed in has different rooms you share the house with people and they deff set us up with this other couple so you could tell they were deff taken aback when we showed up. The way this place is run is very group mentality you eat together you surf together can go on trips as a group etc which was cool bc I did get to meet a lot of people kept things interesting but you can also go off on ur own. The funny thing about the “type” of people in this place was that it was all Europeans mostly from Austria all I can say when u get 5 weeks off every year it gives you lots of time to travel so all these Europeans have been everywhere! I would classify them, as the yoga retreat type people were they pay for top accommodation but live what they think is a simple life I called it rich peoples camping.  For me this was funny bc this place has hot water a toilet all these things which I do not have in Cambodia so to me it was a 5 star resort I don’t think they even understood the difference between there simple way of living is supper high end for me haha. With my surf and love package I had some cool stuff added one of the best being surf lessons so for those of you who don’t know after graduation of college I bought my self a board determined to teach my self this has been an up hill process bc all I had was you tube videos to learn from I actually have been able to get my self to stand etc but with these lesson it was way more constant after! Also I found out I am goofy foot im wondering if that’s why I suck at snowboarding to who knows hah im such a weird kid im right handed but left footed at soccer rt for snowboarding and I guess left for surfing my brain must be confused a lot. Well the surfing coaches were deff the best aspect of the trip so being in Cambodia I want to be around the locals I know they know all the good places to go where I don’t have to see the rest of tourist so we became quick friends with them because for one we actually understood their life and they were really interested in life in Cambodia and due to the fact no Cambodians can ever afford to travel we were the first Cambodians they ever met. It was also a huge cultural difference in bali from Cambodia it was like okay for them to goof around with us with out it being taken like we our broken girls etc they were pretty funny and obvious like o we are cold I think I need a hug or I am looking for the sexy girl to be my wife. Things that a Cambodian man would never say in front of us it kept things fun and less o I have to think about my every action or every person will talk about me.  Well Saturday we ended up going shopping with them to the materials district where there was no tourist which meant I could afford sarong fabric for my host family I have to openly admit until living in Cambodia I had 0 interest in clothing material bc its not like I would ever so my own clothes whatever was at the store in my mind was it but since Cambodia and being able to pick what ever you want has made me a bit ocd about finding unique fabric.  However because I can I have no idea how much material you should buy to make stuff im sure I over bought 2 meters etc but I figured be on the safe side I also got my self some and a whole Balinese outfit to have made. After shopping going to a random market that’s the other thing that is different they actually have malls in bali so there is not so many markets made me feel things were much more high class not having to pick out shirts with the fish right next to me just didt seem normal anymore haha as sad as that sounds really! They do sell more flowers and things at their market but its more expensive in bali Cambodia the dollar goes so far makes me happy to live in Cambodia vs bali! We also went to some little stand and got some local food which was really good the place we stayed at provided food so we did not get to many chances to eat out on a street corner which made things easier in the long run but you know when you go some where new its good to try to explore and try out different things so it was cool to do that. The other part of the bali trip is deff the temple trips there were so many and crazy things to see the first day we got their it was offering day so their was music and so much to culturally experience it was great the other really amazing thing about bali is that for 50 bucks you can rent a car for the whole day and go to all the places you want to go which bali being the small island that it is makes it so your not running around like most vacations trying to see all the things you want to see so it really did make the trip a relaxing one. On the car trip I really loved the cliff temple I wish it was not raining though to see the pretty sunset and the spice stop was cool with the coffee except they sold all of it for double the price but it was free to taste everything except the kloopia coffee which is coffee that comes from this animals poop the most expensive coffee in the world so naturally my Cambodia ass could not afford it. We attempted to go to the top of the volcano, which was one big white foggy mess bc of the rain so we did not get to see much which was a bummer. The rain is much different in Bali then Cambodia bc it will lightly rain for hours but in Cambodia it just monsoon rains for like an hour which I much rather so you can get on with your day with out it being interrupted with drizzle. My trip would not be complete with out a scuba diving trip of some of the best diving in the world I ended up going to this place called blue lagoon and saw an octopus and all sorts of other crazy fish there were sharks but I sadly did not see them would have been cool im told seeing sharks diving is some of the best diving. After diving my guide took me out to eat it was included in the price where I ate at a traditional place and had some really yummy fish and sat Cambodian style on top of a table. My dive guide married an Indonesia so it was cool to hear some cultural stories from him I guess you must get your teeth filed down when you want to get married in Bali. When it came time to leave bali it was hard bc it was such an easy culture to fit into but I was ready to go back to Cambodia just not to excited to spend another expensive night in Singapore however I did get a really pretty sari to wear to this embassy party im going to so its was not a total loss. Peace out from the other side of the world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment