Monday, September 20, 2010

MONOPOLY

I think we can all agree that monopoly is a very American game the other day I started to play some sort of khmer board game turns out its pretty much exactly like sorry but there board is made out of paper you have 4 different color players that are horse the rest of the rules are if you play American board game sorry, but it got me thinking what is there monopoly that I think really represents society I am still on the look for it. I would think that monopoly best personifies the mentally of Americans in society the game has a lot of buying and selling following the rules and landing in jail being in dept etc very individualistic so im thinking there game has to be some sort of team one but ill let you know when I find it. Yesterday morning a poisonous spider ended up in my room I was to scared to scream well I saw it run away so I was all like okay it has left but no it quickly went on the wall by were my clothes are I was to scared that I would miss and not aim right or something and not kill it then get bit so I decide that I would let my host mom take care of it however I should first mention how this all went wrong…. Okay so in Cambodia it is rude to point like u do in America so there is like this whole other way you have to hold ur hand and in my state of panic I could not remember for the life of me which way to hold my hand so turns out I ended up doing it the wrong way which is plam down fingers moving out word meaning to go away opposite what I wanted so when I realize she was walking away I tried to speak broken khmer and she came back and was laughing at me bc she realized what I was trying to do the first time. Well as I have told you guys before my host mom is bad ass so she just comes in with her broom and knocks the spider down and throws it out side I thought this thing would attack mean while it just rolled in a ball and went for her broom ride. Birthdays in Cambodia are not really a big deal however they still are to me so I found out that my Khmer tutor this 14 year old girl who I found at the market it was her birthday last week when I was gone and she was telling me no one did anything for her so this made me sad and I gathered up some stuff from my room I bought a lot of stuff in china town before coming so I gave her a bag and a post card with a pic of nyc this was all good she was really happy however then the very next day she comes back with a scarf for me telling me happy birthday and I was like no its not my birthday its ur birthday so now this poor girl wasted money on me when she is tutoring me for free sign I have a going away present for her to so ill just make sure to give that to her the very last sec so she doest try to buy me stuff! This week I tried to explain to my host mom a few things one if she ever goes to America not to call people big bc that will make them cry and stop eating I might have went a bit over board but now she gets it however I am no longer an American in her brain so I can be called whatever but everyone else she might think twice. I also explain that in American culture they do not like people to be harry so I went into shaving except I couldn’t push my self to explain the Brazilian wax maybe next time however a few days after this awesome chat I had one of the volunteers come over to wax my eye brows so this opened a whole new line of what’s up with these Americans. She did understand however she played charades with me to let me know in Cambodia you shave your eyebrows not rip them out. To be fair I must note some random facts I learned this week well we learned about holidays in Cambodia this week and also had to explain American holidays this leads me to what I learned its really hard to have to explain in America we believe a magic Easter bunny that’s is the size of a human goes around and gives candy I can tell you I am pretty sure this is what leads people to think Americans are not the sharpest tools in the shed. Lets see o yes the cats in Cambodia well some of them have really retarded looking tails and I thought they got in fights or something turns out no this is from inbreeding that during the Khmer rouge they ate anything and I guess this included cats so this caused the cats to start to develop half tails being that it is the weakest genome. This one will make Annmarie laugh the word for freckles in Khmer literally translates to fly shit its good to know what Cambodians think are all over me.

1 comment:

  1. They think we have fly shit on our faces?? ROFL!! I think I'm going to tell literally everyone I know that little tid-bit, too funny!! The Easter Bunny thing must have been hard to explain, Santa Clause too, I can't imagine what they think of us! <3 <3 <3 You!!!

    ReplyDelete