Monday, September 20, 2010

When one door closes…

Goodbyes are hard to do but I realize I must move on and do what I set out to do in Cambodia my villiage is slowly emptying out yesterday all the lcfs and like 8 pcvs left. The peace corps gave us a few option as far as leaving most people wanted to leave and go to the big town with internet however a few of us that don’t want to leave our host family wanted to stay and so far I can say its been well worth it. Even though I miss internet being in Cambodia has helped me see how much time I waste on the internet so while at first I had major internet withdrawal it has stopped and I now can see it as o ill have it soon no need to rush finding it sort of a deal. Since I am leaving I have spent a large part of my time and money on presents for people which I must say I have a really hard time picking out gifts for people and to be honest I don’t know what types of gifts one gives to host parents in Cambodia not to mention no matter what I want to buy the people at the market assume I am rich and try to charge me 5 American dollars when I only make 4 dollars a day so needless to say I get so tired of having to talk them down. I asked my tutor about such things and pretty much I was told that my parents are really old so I should just get them clothes so I got my mom a pretty crazy Khmer shirt to understand the types of clothes people in Cambodia like to wear you will just have to come visit but just know the more going on the more they love the shirt for my dad I got him a tee-shirt with a cool graphic design of a tiger this is because he loves the animal planet and we spend every night watching it together doest hurt that its in eng and we play the game of what’s the name of that animal in eng and Khmer and does America/Cambodia have that animal. Speaking of the animal planet I should mention I made the mistake of telling my host mom in America we eat crab and its pretty good so guess what showed up on my lunch table today… crab which is much different from American crab and Cambodian people love to eat the whole thing I really don’t know if my body could digest the shell but this did not stop my host parents while I spent 10 mins on these supper small crabs trying to get out the meat both my host parents were ingesting them whole and laughing at me struggling with the pin size meat I got off each crab. Okay back to gifts while I tried to get presents for people I spent a lot of time with it did not occur to me that people who I barely new would get me gifts or stop charging me for things case in point the lady at the cafĂ© bought material for a sarong when I went to the tailor to get it sewed up she would not accept money and then when I got home some girl that is friends with my neighbor who I spoke with 2 times bought me a key chain and necklace. Now I feel that I owe so much to Cambodian people for being so supper nice and open to my American crazy ways for them to buy me gifts makes me feel bad they spent there money on me because while I wish I could return the favors to each person I know ill never be able to. Since I am leaving my host mom really wanted a pic of us together so we have this photo booth thing in our house which I guess is run by this random girl I don’t really understand why its in my house but it is so anyways it has different backgrounds and they love to Photoshop the crap out of it in other words see how white they can make them selves look I requested to be made tan but in the picture I look ghost white lol request denied also I guess in Cambodia they don’t like to smile for pics so my host mom looks real serous.

No comments:

Post a Comment