Monday, July 12, 2010

FAQ post leaving

Since staring up my Peace Corps adventure there are a few questions I get asked a lot and I figured since I have this blog ill try to answer all of them.

1) Where are you going? now I can tell you Cambodia but throughout the application process I had no idea.

2) Did you choose to go there? no I was willing to go anywhere.

3) Where will you be staying in Cambodia? I have no idea for the first 3 months ill be with in a main area with the rest of the group. After the 3 month however I get stationed in another location where I will not be with as many Americans.

4) What type of housing do you get put in? I will be living with a host family (with my own room go figure I have to live in a 3rd world country to get my own room jkjk) I don’t know who that host family will be yet.

5) How is the living condition? In Cambodia there is no running water so that means bucket showers and I believe there is only electricity at night from Vietnam. As far as the Peace Corps goes they have somewhat strict standards on making sure every volunteer is living in a safe environment.

6) What will you being doing? Community health on education of preventive disease while on the side starting up some sort of after school program which as of right now I am thinking soccer.

7) Does the peace corps give you money? Yes a small monthly stipend for living but I am a volunteer and one of my main goals is to assimilate into the culture so having to much money is actually ineffective because then I look like a rich American tourist. Naturally thought there are other amazing benefits to being in the Peace Corps that monetary value could never match.

8) Will they give you shots, malaria pills and other meds to keep me from getting some rare disease? Yes I get to be pined and prodded once I get to staging.

9) What kind of disease can you get while in Cambodia? High on the list dungy fever, Japanese ensphilistes, tuberculoses, and various parasites.

10 Why did you decide to join the Peace Corps? There are many answers to this one lets see to travel get a new found perspective, to give back to humanity, to help me get a job in the U.N one day etc.

11) What kind of food and clothes can you wear in Cambodia? Food everything from things like bugs to chicken and pork and of course top on the list rice! And more rice! Clothes nothing to sexually reveling aka no mini skirts and tank tops more long skirts and collard shirts.

12) What the weather like? Hot humid rainy just think of all the Vietnam movies Hollywood has out and think along those lines.

13) Do you know other people going friends? No this is more of a solo thing I have been slowly finding people in my group going but none of them I knew before I applied to the Peace Corps.

14) THIS ONE SHOULD BE AT THE TOP OF MY LIST What will Luis (my boyfriend) and your mom do while your gone what do they think etc? Well as for Luis he has been with me long enough two years in a week to know that I am a free sprit who just wants to change the world and I am just meant to do something like this so he supports me and yes where staying together while I am away. While I am gone he has a lot he wants to do aka music, medical school, live life to the fullest. As for my mom I am 23 and trying to make my own way in life and seeing how limited I am with advancing my self etc in American I think she is happy with it maybe just nervous that ill be gone for two years but I think most parents feel like that once there kids get older and are around less.

15) Will people come and visit? Can I have people visit? Do I get days off? Yes to all of them a lot of people naturally want to visit Cambodia and when else in life do most people have that excuses except to come visit me =) I get days off but I do not plan to come back to American until I am done for one I have to pay for the flight and two I think for my own state of well being I need to stick out the cultural difference in Cambodia with out going back and forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment