Monday, July 26, 2010

tourist vs a traveler

I once read an article on a tourist vs a traveler and it all came down to the tourist went everywhere always thinking how different everything was always feeling that they were missing things from home were the traveler saw everything so much the same. Now that I am actually living in another country I think I understand it a bit better and I would have to say while there are deff cultural differences in Cambodia to America the more I am here the more I see how much things are the same. For instances you still see little boys pick up sticks and start to play swords or girls dance around like there princess’s the ideals that we all want for a better life doesn’t seem to really change either just the access rate which we are able to achieve them. Tom I move to a smaller town or village rather for training my life in hotels is over for a bit it was fun and my roommate Sam (from Mississippi) are not in the same area I guess that’s just what the peace corps does they just slowly make you more and more isolated which I guess is better then just throwing you in their like I cant imagine this soon to be new way of life right off the plane. Today was a big day we got split into groups for villages and la classes now that la is in full swing and I realize all I have to know that’s the more overwhelming part of it all but I think people are right when they say its different when you immersed, for instances I always ice coffee (cafĂ© duka goh) but never know how to say the milk so needless to say the process to explain I want milk takes seriously an exter 20 mins this has given me no choice but to be like wtf im learning the word milk if it’s the last thing I do. Khmer I don’t think has many complex sentences however the words them selves are just very diff from eng they have a similar thing to Spanish where you roll the R’s a lot. While learning the word milk is one thing it’s a whole other thing to listen and understand and then know medical terms which I am not so sure I know in eng for the peace corps this is know as (technical la) refereeing to your job. Sigh I really really wish Rosetta stone could hook me up I don’t know if anyone else knows how I could get a cds for Khmer but if so let me know. On a positive note I got my camera up loader so if I can get the Internet to work faster then at a snail’s passĂ© they will be up. On a did that really happen note I think though my bags going all over the place at some point and time I got one of my sneakers stolen not the two of them just one so the question is do I try to get nike to send me the other one or just throw the one out. Until next time joom-reap-lah (goodbye).

5 comments:

  1. Hi Eileen. I am really enjoying reading your blogs. I helps me get an idea of how your are doing. I know you might not be able to write as often, now that you are in a small town with host family but please try; it makes us all at ease that you are not as far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Boo, no worries, I know you'll learn the language really well soon enough, just be patient and interact w/ everyone and be a social butterfly like always :)

    Your blogs are awesome, hope you can keep posting!

    <3 always

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eileen! I think your blogs are great. It is definitely you when I read them. Love hearing about the adventures. Hope to hear from you soon. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eileen, love reading your blogs....they are a piece of prose...I imagine as free ranging as are the mountains of Cambodia...I am now officially posted as a "follower" (your Mom told me that I was listed and I checked my settings and now I am!)...I look forward to hearing more and finding out the new and exciting cultural variants and uniqueness of the Cambodian people...smile and make peace! Love, Aunt Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad you all r having fun reading the blogs ill try to keep them amusing which most day to day life is in cambodia

    ReplyDelete