Thursday, August 5, 2010

Welcome to the freak show!

Since arriving in Cambodia it’s pretty much been whoo why is the American hear the American can eat rice and say some khmer. Now that im in a small village this has gone to levels I cannot even explain. I will take you back to yesterday night I try to make attempts just to sit with my host mom and dad even if I cant speak to them while doing this I was making flash cards for me to learn the la and before I know it they had all the neighbors over to watch me because they thought it was so funny that I can write so fast in eng so I did this for 30 mins like people paid for a show or something. I know your thinking could this getting any more awkward… well it did around 7:30 I always try to get to my room so I can be alone so I just mimic sleep however every time I do this my host mom mimics back at me bucket shower and I always try to explain I bucket shower in the morning. Well now I understand why this happens every night one of the girls next store speaks some eng and so my host mom went and got her and so naturally the rest of the neighbors followed to ask me why do I only take one shower (in my head do I smell or something like wtf). I was like umm how to answer this to them so I told the girl speaking eng I get dry skin bc I was not very sure if this was normal or it was my host mom so I was like side note ask my lcf (the guys who is teaching me khmer). So sure enough I found out this is customary that it’s a sign of respect for guest that they try to let guest take 5-bucket showers a day!!! I was thinking that for one a place with out running water would want to conserve water but I guess not so now I have to debate is it worth the time and energy to please my host mom and bucket shower 2 times a day at least its not 5! A little about my host family it is just a couple who I think have two sons from the little I can communicate one is a dr I think they have grandchildren making them grandparents. I have electricity which is nice both my host mom and dad are really nice I think everything I do makes them laugh im pretty ok with that just trying not to leave the impression of Americans are dirty. No running water the whole squatting toilet thing is somewhat of a challenge but once you just do it I guess that cherry is popped and its not so bad after no lie aimining is not as easy as I thought sorry if that’s to much information your squat over that hole has to be just right or it will get everywhere so for now my technique is to hold it until I am at home and then just have a skirt on so I don’t have to worry about messing up my pants or underwear. Even though I have only been gone a week it feels like no like 6 months my day is packed with so much I wake up well all hours of the night but officially at 6:15 (even though my host mom starts to bang rugs outside my window what I think is 4 am) I have to get breakfast which is always somewhat of a long process since they don’t understand me then off to la class for 4 hours then I get a lunch break after lunch I have to meet with my health group to learn about that stuff and all the happening’s in Cambodia this is my favorite part of the day but that’s bc I know enough about this were la is my biggest struggle. Pretty much my whole day I have to re teach my self everything I knew its like I am a child all over again which is fun because of all the wonderment I get to see in the world and frustrating bc its really like I know nothing and have no say really in what I do.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eileen, How interesting to read about your new life in Cambodia. the pictures on Facebook are realy something. I will get one of the international calling cards that you told me about on facebook. Love you hope to see you on Skype soon Daddy

    ReplyDelete