Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A FISH






So due to the fact I am a whole day a head of you I thought I might split this blog into my Cambodian xmas and then American xmas. Thanks for calling me sorry I was out of it bc it was 5 am my time and I had to be up in an hour to go diving so I was sort in a daze and all the people I was sharing a room with were a sleep so I was trying not to wake them up anyways I hope you all had an awesome day and had lots of food. To celebrate in honor of America I took a full day trip to go scuba diving the boat ride was a good 2 hours off shore they provided breakfast and lunch it was an interesting boat ride. So first let me tell you I did not go with anyone I knew bc not to many other people I know are certified and a lot of people are pretty scared to go deep down where if something goes wrong it could mean life or death however this leaves opportunity to meet new people fellow divers which all happened to be from all over the place there was a couple from Holland, Germany, new Zeeland, Canada, Malaysia, and an American couple who are living in Vietnam teaching eng anyways everyone was really awesome and its always cool to hear there back stories. I have to say I really sometimes wonder why Americans are so much different then Europeans what I mean by this one of the great things about living in Cambodia I meet a lot of crazy backpackers who are like yea I worked for two years and then I quit to travel for a few years and no one seems to think this is a big deal however in America or even when I meet Americans in Cambodia its like a month is the longest they can go without working and having a job why is this? Its like traveling is not an acceptable excuses for us to just up and leave a job never the less this is exactly what most of the people on this boat with me were doing telling me where they have been in southeast Asia and their plans. Side note for some reason most people from other countries love to ask me about our health care system I guess they really see ours as a big mess while im not commenting one way or the other I just wonder how much media coverage they see about our system. Back on topic okay so the island we got to see was really pretty small and full of exotic life however we quickly left to go on our first dive which, was about an hour I think we did about 100 ft down have to admit I was a bit nervous bc I have not done any diving for over two years which tecnecquly I supposed to have to proved my skills in a pool or something if its been that long but hey im in Cambodia so that matter a bit less then it would in other parts of the world. The water was a bit choppy current mildly strong it made visibility not as good however the ocean is still pretty clear blue so it was still amazing to see the sea life the things that I love a lot about being that far down is that it’s my own personal form of yoga I am pretty horrible and regular yoga bc you have to sit still and monitor your breathing stop thinking and I just cant seem to do it. However with scuba diving its like I have no choice I had to watch my breath drift slowly I don’t really think im to into seeing what’s around me its like active yoga I love it!! I was hopping to see a turtle but did not however I saw crazy big fish and schools of fish that were bright blue swimming right up to me and there was bright purple coral and a bunch of all plant life I feel like I saw in the discovery channel LIFE series which made it all that much better bc I knew how rare it was to see Cambodia diving is basically up and coming it has a lot of potential however not many people have been diving in Cambodia yet which leaves a lot to be discovered. So there was these pin things that I had to watch out for they were big and black with the center looking like that eye they use in Egypt to ward of evil sprits the dark blue and white and light blue and a spec of purple in it I guess its made from calcium someone that was snorkeling accidently landed on one and her knee had all these black spots bc I guess u cant take them out u just have to rub them in over time or so the dive instructed was saying. On my second dive being more curious and perhaps less nervous I was able to really get up close to some of the plant life and things which made the second dive a bit better also first dive I had trouble equalizing so I removed weight from my belt I know this is all scuba talk so you have no idea what im saying but basically I was going down to fast the first time due to too much weight on my belt making my ears hurt. On the way back despite scuba being a lazy persons sport due to the lack of oxygen etc it really tires you out so on the boat ride back to the main land I sat up top laying down and taking pictures of the sun set could not as for a more beautiful day out on a boat ps the boat had peanut butter no one but me seemed as excited lol if only they understood why I was so excited. Wishing everyone a healthy and happy holiday from the other side of the world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment