Tuesday, December 7, 2010

This is not an Asia brand…

You know it takes a lot of over thinking things as a volunteer for a few reason you are always trying to be culturally sensitive and make sure it can relate to my target audience so to speak however sometimes there are things that just completlly miss my mind. DEC is HIV/AIDS awareness month so I was supposed to do something for it today had a few things together anyways never happened bc as I mentioned I think in another post they are trying to get money for this new maternity ward and randomly throw together meetings naturally not informing me. The nurse who does the presentations with me showed up bc he new the od was gonna be there to over see, the od is not awear he goes to school instead of coming to work so its this whole hush hush thing the staff plays at the hospital but since he was there I decided to show him some of what I had ready. Well part of my presentation was to show how to use condoms properly and I bought some extra to give away and when I say bought I mean I took from my peace corps medical kit the 6 condoms they gave us figured I don’t need them convenient (though im sure peace corps would not be happy with this) not to mention I don’t want the whole villiage to think I am out buying bulk condoms at the pharmacy and be considered a “broken girl”. However when I showed them to the nurse he was like I think these are American condoms and I was like no its okay they’re not American brad anyways but he was like no there not Asian condoms…. Im looking at him like don’t worry about what brad they are bc I am slow and was not getting it he had to finally spell it out for me these are to big lmao and then he laughs and I cant control my self bc I re think over the whole conversation and it all starts to add up. Well the harvesting of the rice has started I went for one of my forbidden walks into the middle of nowhere to see the process Cambodians really think I am going to get kidnapped u should see them miming it out to me so I always just go and anyways I ended up meeting these kids who were so excited that I had a camera they were bring me all over the places to take pictures getting me into a Water Mellon field it was a lot of fun it was also cute to see these kids planting they were like don’t step on the watermelon trees and were showing me how they were breaking up the sand they spoke pretty good English to. Soon enough I was a good 3 or so kilos out and it started to down pour so me and all the kids had to walk back they were also bring in the cows so it was a slow walk but I guess once ur wet ur wet they were telling me some interesting things as we walked. However wat surprised me was okay so I am the american walking in the rain so this is so sad so people would offer me to come under there house etc to come in from the rain but no one offered these poor kids they would just ask me and bc I was walking with them I was not about to go in and like said once ur rained on mine as well just keep walking. This weekend is a long weekend bc Friday is humans rights day which gives Cambodians yet another day so a few of us are taking advantage and going back to training site to see our host families however to explain this to my host family I have no idea if they understood what I way saying so might have to re talk to them to make sure they really know I am coming I will update u with that story next till next time peace out from the other side of the world!


1 comment:

  1. How did you keep your camera from getting wet? I hope you and your camera are ok. Love you daddy

    ReplyDelete