Thursday, December 2, 2010

I Had Thanksgiving with Brad pit jk


Okay now that I have your attention so thanksgiving was interesting in Cambodia try to imagine making thanksgiving dinner with out massive oven and stove tops etc as you all know I don’t cook to begin with so I cant imagine the amount of work some people put in to make the turkeys (ill shout out a thanks to them). For thanksgiving we were all shipped off to Battambong 4 hours away from phnom penh to do some more cultural and la training and in between meet up with all the other volunteers and enjoy a thanks giving feast. For the meeting up with volunteers had a lot of fun ate some western food however going back to the way things were in training sort of sucked and hear is why… while there is some good information a lot of it is repetitive and not needed, there is so much generalization to listen to while it was hard in training to swallow its even harder now that I live at site and I kinda wonder what type of Cambodians the staff is around, then some people think questioning the hell out of peace corps staff is going to get them answers when it should be more obvious now that they don’t have answers that one might really want to know, then there is times when we need to stick on what were talking about but we have to move on to learn about the reparative stuff, then you sort of get used to ur own way of live in a small village well I don’t want to generalize so I will say I have and when you have freedom and you spend all days with Cambodians its some what frustrating to deal with that many Americans at once no lie. I know a lot of you are sitting and reading this being like ahhh whats wrong with her but its hard to explain bc each person could live exactly as I live and not feel this way however it is just the way I go about living life that makes it so that I understand my new life a bit better then what I left behind and being alone and relying more on actions then just talk has made life better for me. Never the less I am grateful for getting to take a trek around Cambodia which of course with traveling and me always a story bc I was going far away I could have taken a bus however it cost 6 dollars from my site and I was like nope I can take a taxi cheaper even if I have to stand on the side of the road for an hour (quick side note iam supper happy that I learned how to hitch hike in college it has been one of the best tools I could use in Cambodia!) however Cambodians try to talk me out of this just bc the taxi is a tight squeez 3 or 4 in front and 4 in the back of a roomie taoyota =) well after 45 mins I thought mabey I should have not been stubborn and taken the bus however as is anything in Cambodia patients in a virtue and then the stars aliened for me better then a taxi peace corps Armageddon cars (I refer to it in this manner bc out of all the countries ngos etc in Cambodia no one quite can compete with peace corps van its got a snorkel and some other interesting additive that make it scream out when it passes by) anyways it took a few to pass before I got one to stop for me so I lucked out I think ill say its one of the benefits to living on the national rd so close to pp they always pass by me site. Okay I realize I have not posted in a while so trying to run down how much I have been trying to do with thus far little success well tom shoes I have to email them I have been trying to talk to usaid with no phone calls returned and then I talked to someone who is in charge of us as volunteers and she said she knows people at the embassy and that most likely they could help so a step in a direction. Pass back has not sent me any emails and my other project that I sent the most emails to is to get a pocket size projector for my mac for health edu at my health center I really thought bill gates foundation could have hooked me up but they told me no that I would have to apply for a grant as for other organizations I got even worse feed back so ill have to see with that. On a postive note I met this guy at the school he is an eng teacher and he wants to start up a first aid class so I think we might work together which is exciting my first random counter part not inside the hospital he seemed reliable to I guess he has worked for many ngos so feel this could be a good connect also 411 if your wondering u don’t actually have to be certified to teach cpr etc in Cambodia so my knowledge is considered good enough luckily for them I actually did get certified by red cross better then nothing at all =) on a crazy note I talked with the midwives today with my nurse that speaks eng and im going to start some training as a midwife will not be long until I can deliver a baby jkjk but who knows in Cambodia they try to get me to do a lot of stuff so I figured I cant resist the whole two years that I should pick some things and actually get trained. I sort of wish I could go somewhere to get trained better for breast cancer bc around the community since it was my first project that’s what im know for aka why people flash me all the time now lol but I have no idea really how to tell all the different types of lumps in America that’s when im like dude u need to go see a dr but in Cambodia that’s when they come to see me that’s a pretty scary thought. I will let that thought metal in your head till next time peace out from the other side of the world!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eileen, When you get a phone again will it be a different # ? I am thinking so. You might try to Contact DR OZ who has his own TV show now. He might help you with grants and knolige of cancer stuff. Seeing his personality on TV I can tell he would be impresed with your Peace Core Work. Can't hurt to try! Love you MUCH! Daddy

    ReplyDelete