Wednesday, December 29, 2010

So This Is Xmas what have we Done






Another year over a new one to begun war is over if you want it! Sometimes its odd how my ipod shuffle with hit up just the song one needs to hear on xmas john Lennon so this is xmas with yoko came on it made me think how crazy it is not to long ago war was knocking on Cambodia’s door step and how far the country has come and all the things I have never had to experience that so many people I interact with on a daily bases have faced. Where to start with my xmas adventure I headed down to the beach with a few friends were we stayed in a guest house extremely cheap which was for various reasons that I will not to go into to much detail bc im sure most of you don’t want to know what the smell was in my room either do I lets just hope it was no toxic jk. Among the people who came was my friends host brother from training we kindly refer to him as our Khmer babysitter lol bc all of us are more roll with whatever happens sort of people he always makes sure we don’t roll with the flow somewhere to bad and it’s a plus him speaking Khmer not getting ripped off. In true style xmas eve I did something I didn’t think was possible in Cambodia I went to the movies and saw harry potter nothing much better then that is all I have to say of course this was a Cambodian movie theater while the movie was in eng it was a bootleg dvd they play on a screen the size of a movie and the chairs were the big circle ones soo comfy I wish American movie theaters let you have couches to watch movies on. I think I might have mentioned that Khmer people get up with the chickens so needless to say come xmas morning the first person up was the Cambodian to scream merry xmas it was pretty funny I think he was just excited to have a reason to celebrate the holiday while that was all happening we were like lets sleep at least till 7 that’s late Cambodian time. That day I had pumpkin pancakes with real Mable syrup for breakfast it was amazing!!! I still have no idea where this syrup came from but so happy to have it then we went walking around found some used book stores and some other cool shops after that we headed for a fun filled day on the beach where laying in much of the sun as the Cambodian would allow us u know Cambodians fear of the sun and turning the “black color” did not let us be in direct sun light just not the Cambodian way haha. Incase your wondering no Cambodians can not swim but they solved this little issue by having floating tubes and life jackets you can wear in the water incase you get scared that you will sink in 3 ft of water. They don’t own bathing suits either they just wear clothes in the water I think I told you the story a while ago of my training host mom and the pictures I had from the beach how she did not believe it was a bathing suit but just a bra underwear sort of a deal lol keep in mind if I wear something with no sleeve’s for the day I get told that I am dressed very sexy. The only thing that could have made the day better was if I could have surfed however though much asking around and even trying to explain it in khmer I had to admit defeat however with the realization of one idea closed I set my focuses on going scuba diving the next day. That night a bunch of us got together and had dinner where non of the staff spoke Khmer which was pretty ironic since so the tables turned and the Cambodian had to relay more on us to do the English speaking but all I could think that has to suck to be in your own country and be denied your own la. For dinner I had for the first time barracuda fish it was really good I forgot how much I like fish bc at site I cant eat fish due to the fact they put more msg into the fish to keep it from going bad then the lbs of fish one bit of a fish at dinner at my site and you might be dehydrated jkjkj but its pretty bad. After dinner I took a tuk tuk to meet up with some other volunteers that I am friends with had a few drinks and then went for a night time walk on the beach were we encountered two monkeys and a dog it was like a you tube video happening right in front of my eyes. We watched the dog and monkey play for a good 20 mins no lie it was like you just could not look away well the monkey had some sort of stick the dog was interested in but the monkey was more interested in messing with the dog so it would leave the stick on the ground for the dog to go after and as soon as that happened the monkey would jump on top of the dog to get back the stick a few times the monkey would hop around the dog and touch his head and run away it was soooo funny to watch im sure my story does not do it justices anyways eventually the bar owner comes over and takes the stick away completely well now the dog is no longer interested in hanging around however the monkey would not have this every time the dog tried to go away the monkey would pull him back by his tail. There was fire works and other on goings at the beach but I knew I had to go back to the guesthouse for some shut eye bc I set further plans for my scuba diving adventure. When I got back however the taro cards where out for some random readings this has been going on all weekend us making shit up with the cards about what will happen next all and all an amazing xmas day.

No comments:

Post a Comment