Saturday, August 28, 2010

Dead People LOVE Chicken

For those who don’t know Cambodian people love to celebrate anything they can so you pretty much sneeze and it will be a special day they actually have the most national holidays in the world however I thought I would have a heads up when they might occur. I come home for lunch and there is a party happening in my house and there is all these sprit house and tons of food I mean like my house was covered esp with fruits. Mean while im trying to figure out what is going on so I ask my host sister who is home for this event and all she can say in eng is everyone in Cambodia is doing this right now and im like okay but why? I get to the table to eat and there is all this awesome food that we never have including a whole chicken, which I didn’t think was even possible in Cambodia, was I was sooo excited to see chicken with out bones that I could eat! As the saying goes if you can’t beat them join them I might have no idea the reason for this day but I deiced to join in the festivities however I soon had to jet for langue class where I was having a test bummer. Naturally as soon as I see my lcf I ask him what the hells going on in Cambodia today and he is like o it is a special day for Chinese people it is a day to please there dead ancestors and for everyone in the family to meet so now I understand a day of the dead sort of the deal. A few mins later I talk to another Cambodian who then informs me that the Chinese people have whole chicken on this day so light bulb went off in my head and was like yea I had one for lunch why? The answer they believe that it is what the dead like to eat. All I can think is interesting you would think you would feed your dead family something they eat all the time and as far as I can tell its not chicken but never the less the dead like chicken and so do I so cheers to them for allowing me to eat it. Apparently the Chinese calendar is faster then Cambodian so this will happen for Cambodian people in oct. on a im not failing at life note I actually did good on my lpi test today this is a huge test I have to take at the end to be able to swear in I have to score a certain la level and im actually right their. I also went to the wat today as a peace corps group and we got to talk to the monks with translators of course and ask them things for those of you who know me what question do you think I could not wait to ask ill give you 5 mins to think before reading this next part hehe… give up okay so they went on how the old women in the village decide to become nuns later in life to server the monks so I had to ask why could women not be monks why must they take on the roll of servant the monk actually took some time to think this one though but basically his answer in old sand script it was not that way women were allowed to be monks before Buddha died because Buddha wanted to spread his way of life with everyone but after humans screwed it up and it remains till this day I don’t know how reassuring that answer is but at least this monk was honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment