Tuesday, August 31, 2010

UPDATE

Well I have now been on site visit so I can fill u in on what I have been thinking about which has been all over the place. My new house is really pretty its on a dirt rd path in my front yard I have all these awesome trees with all sorts of fruit and even a green pepper tree I actually have this bungalow house thing to my self so its pretty sweet. However my room has nothing in it minus the wooden bed with no mattress so my sleep has not been very good. The peace corps wanted me to go around to the market to see the prices of things I need however because iam in a rural place my market does not have such things as a mattress so if I find one in another place that leaves me with the question of how the heck do I get it to my site. I also have no light in my room at all and no curtains on my see through windows but I do however have a ceiling so that exceeded my expectations. My new family does not use guppies this makes me so very sad bc I could see the larva in my shower water I did try to look for some today so I could put some in but with little luck. There is no light in my bathroom either so I now must shower with a surong on just so I can keep the door open to have light not exactly ideal but its that or pitch black. In all honesty I am sure I can get used to my surroundings with in a few weeks however a little about my new host family this I think will be an on going process for me to learn about them. While I thought I had just two host siblings I don’t exactly I guess there is another older girl who lives right next to us like there are 3 house set up mine my host dad and the host siblings and then another house within a few steps of one another. Well this older host sister has 3 kids a girl who I think is like 9 and two really young boys 2 and 3 I call them thing one and thing two lol jk but I do call the younger one trouble maker bc he beats on all the neighbor kids and always has this look in his eye that he is gonna fuck shit up and he does. All I know is always at least 14 people at my house I cant figure out who everyone belongs but there is time for that. I am not gonna lie this family is not as fun as my host family now but maybe I just have to get used to them. My host dad is really old and frail he is almost 70 however looks 90 he does not let me go anywhere by my self which kind of sucks but is nice enough just looking at him you can tell life has been extremely hard on him this I think in return makes a very solemn serious person. However he did say he was excited to have an American for a daughter bc he has never been around an American let alone had one as his daughter. In my host family now they go out of there way to make me feel like family and I think in that regards I have been spoiled because this family im not sure if im being treated like an honored guessed or what exactly but all I can tell you it does not make me feel happy. For instances for dinner they sit me in the hall floor to eat alone while they all sit out side in the back somewhere I don’t know if this is considered a nice place to eat and that’s why but I feel very isolated from them. However I should mention the first night my host dad did sit with me and its was supper serious and a big deal in fact it was such a big deal that all the neighbors and any relatives with in a 5 mile radius had to come and sit in the door frame I counted there was 20 people all watching me and my host dad eat. I don’t think I have ever mention the cultural rules on sitting on the floor and how to sit well because this is my host dad castle he gets to sit with his legs crosses and everyone else must sit with your legs on the side as a sign of respect sometimes if you are another male he will give you the okay to switch but as a girl I don’t think ill ever get that okay lmao so eventually I might just rock the boat and do it but ill give that some time. When ever I go out someone from my family will just show up spying on me which also is not exactly the best feeling because my host family now is the opposite they love that I am always out and that I go and play soccer so this will hopefully not last to long for some reason it’s a big deal to have an American and if something happened to me it would make them lose face so I try not to get to pissed off though its hard some time because im a free sprit don’t want to be encaged! I also went to vist my village hospital it was deff interesting I had to go though some Cambodian jungle to get their the male nurse speaks a little eng and after I went for a tour and asked questions he invited me and my host brother to some sort of party that was deff interesting but I was given the okay to start my guppies farm yay! One of the ladies at the stand speaks eng as well and has been supper nice to me I think she wants to be friends I guess she has an American husband but she could not get American citizenship because they did not believe that they were really married I don’t know but we went on some sort of crazy tuk tuk ride around the town it was pretty cool. There is a place near by where I can feed monkeys so once I come back to site I will have to hit that up but right now I realize I need to know far more Khmer and am happy to have a few more weeks with my current host family! for the next few days i get to go into the city so ill update some pics and more life stories hope all is well ps to Elizabeth and emon congrats only a few days left till you are stuck with each other for life lol jkjk good luck and ship me some american food from the wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment