Saturday, August 21, 2010

We are aliens

It occurred to me that most of you want to know how I am adjusting to Cambodia the random on going in my day to day life or just things I have learned becoming a Cambodian women. Well here is goes as I ride my bike around town I often see cattle but in Cambodia there is not the type of cattle you fatten up to eat so the working cattle becomes dinner they often look so thin and sickly sometimes I have seen them dead on the side of the road. Needless to say the meat does not taste the same also meat is left out a lot which if I was in the states would bug me but in Cambodia I just learn to live with, its all about not over thinking things because if you do you will end up rejecting the country and culture really quickly. Cambodia has some crazy fruit a lot, which grow on vines and tress but oddly enough not strawberries why because it actually doest get cold enough long enough. Also they have oranges that are bright green. Ever have chicken for dinner and not know what to do with your left over bones will in Cambodia not an issues you just throw them on the ground while you eat the dogs will eat them as well as cats (never new cats like bones). In America you know it is going to rain if the sky starts to look grey over cast like well in Cambodia they know to but I have no idea how bc it will be a clear sky and sunny but they will always call it out. Most of the people in Cambodia are scared of snakes while in America it is spiders also Cambodians are very fearful of ghost and sprits, I would think if that was your fear you would want to keep them out but instead they just want to make them happy so they leave an offering house thing with water flowers and food (it’s a Buddhist thing). If you ask a Cambodian if there family was from anywhere else they look at you like you have 5 heads and will not skip a beat and be like I am Cambodian so when you try to explain that in American people are from all over generally know as mutts they don’t get it. Everyone in Cambodian does not believe in the idea of the individual for instances if I do something screwed up in Cambodia people would look down at my whole host family, which is somewhat odd everything belongs to your family and neighbors so while in America we want to take credit for things we have done individually in Cambodia the family as a whole takes credit which can be good and bad. What I mean by that is it takes away from the ego of the person and allows others to share more with you but also kind of sucks bc there is still a system in place which is not exactly fare of equal example its more likely the man will get more praises even if the women who did whatever. Only 1 percent of hospitals actually have DRS in them most hospitals esp village ones are run by nurses and midwives drs will not make enough money in small places so they don’t go there. What is it like to being living in this whole new atmosphere I have just told you somewhat about its amazing because with this I get to wake up in rice fields and palm trees and these astounding human beings know as Cambodians get to make me laugh and think all at once. What it all really comes down to is realizing that were all aliens just trying to figure out what it means to be human and even though I have grown up in America I still cant say I get the people in my own mother land any more then I get Cambodian people and I guess that’s what keeps me tuned in.

No comments:

Post a Comment