Saturday, August 28, 2010

Mental health day

After last week they put in a mental health day for all of us volunteers and for this awesome event they gave us 30 dollars as a group to make American food oddly enough just like me all of phrey chore considers Mexican food to be the thing we miss a lot go figure. Keep in mind this was hard because we had to make everything from scratch and we only have one stove top and no oven so what would take 40 mins tops in America took 3 hrs in Cambodia but have to say it hit the spot. Yesterday I went back to the middle school and we did small group activity where we let them draw a map of places they like to go not go it was interesting and then we did another one with listing 5 things they would like to get better apparently most of them are very scared of ghost and would like to see this fixed I have been told by other volunteers that at there permant site the schools have people take turn to guard the school not for the reason you would think but to help keep ghost away from the school. It was interesting to see what all the groups put down if I recall a decent amount wanted gangsters to be gone traffic laws in Cambodia because there families have to give lots of money to the hospital when there family keeps getting hit, clean environment, stop family violence according to the students the drunk men come home and will start fights so this must be pretty common. One group wanted there prey chore to be bigger so other Americans and tourist would come and they could become rich. What else has been going on well im in major count down mode to know where I will be living for two years of my life I think my host mom is really sad I will be leaving bc she keeps trying to figure out where I am going and then last night a neighbors grandson who speaks really good eng was here and she had him translate that she thought of me has her real daughter and how much she worries about me (esp that I don’t like most foods lmao) I was kind of surprised because I can barely speak to her but I guess it just proves that 80 percent of communication really must be non verbal. I also took advantage of this eng speaker dude and was able to talk to all my neighbors and tell them how expensive it is in America and how were not rich one guy was really interested in American school system I don’t know the conversation was pretty entertaining all I can say is I think we all live to be understood and since coming to Cambodia that has been hard so last night was one of those nights that things seemed to make senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment